New Zealand time: 0000-00-00 00:00 Currency: NZD : 0.71 USD

Frequently Asked Questions

    How to start? The choice of the way and the programme

  • How should I understand what to begin with?

    Fill in the application form via the link. It’s really important to answer all the questions thoroughly, since every case is specific and we need your initial data to find the best way.

  • I don’t want to study! It would be better for me to go to NZ on a work visa. How can I do it?

    It is possible to get a work visa only if you have a Job Offer which is difficult to get remotely. If you have a Job Offer, you’d better consult our immigration advisor Kiwi Immigration.


    If an employer wants to hire a foreigner he has to prove that there is no proper specialist among New Zealanders, and this process is rather labour consuming and expensive. Employers prefer to hire those who already have work visas. That’s why many people choose to come to New Zealand through education because after studying it’s possible to get a Post Study Work Visa for one year or more.

  • Who are the specialists in demand?

    To these specialists in demand are refered those whose occupation is in the Long Term Skill Shortage List.


    Besides matching the occupation, all other requirements (written on the site of Immigration New Zealand, especially in the third column) must be met.

  • My occupation is in demand, I 've found it in the list. What benefits will I get from this?

    New Zealand is open for all professionals but it means that it will be easier to find a job for the specialists in demand.


    If you meet all the requirements from the list you can consider studying at the language courses and try to find a job while studying. In this situation, an employer doesn’t need to prove why he hires a foreign specialist.

  • I already have education and I'm 35, and I 'm not going to study any more. My only purpose is immigration. Should I study anyway?

    According to the official information on the site of Immigration New Zealand, it’s necessary to score 160 points. For more information, see our site.


    About 50 points are given for a job offer which is difficult to get remotely. That’s why the easiest way to get a job is studying. After 1 year of studying it’s possible to get a work visa. The age is not a problem, you can study in New Zealand at any age.

  • I consider studying in New Zealand followed by immigration. How can I choose a programme and how long should I study?

    To choose the sphere of education you have to take into account your previous work experience and your qualification in your Diploma. Studying usually lasts from 1 year to 1,5 or 2 years. It depends on your aims and finances.


    It’s undesirable to choose a new sphere because it can lead to difficulties in searching for a job and getting a Student Visa. The immigration officer won’t look into the reasons of changing your profession and can refuse a visa. Our managers will help you to choose the best programme.

  • Can you explain the process from a recourse to Kiwi Education to arrival in New Zealand step by step?

    • You should fill in the application form. It can help us to look into your case from different points of view.
    • Then we decide on the strategy and choose the course.
    • Right after that you can gather the documents for a Student Visa.
    • As soon as you collect the documents, an education provider sends you an Offer of Place.
    • Having received an Approval in Principal, you have to pay for the education and get a Student Visa.
    • We organize a free meeting at the airport, give you a sim-card, a voltage adaptor and take you to your place.
  • I've been offered a job in New Zealand, that's why I'm going to come here on a work visa. Who should I ask for help to get it?

    The branch Kiwi Education is focused on consultations on student visas, you can consult the specialists of another branch Kiwi Immigration to get other types of visas. One hour consultation costs NZ$ 200. Our price list is here.

  • Do you provide any support when a student comes to New Zealand? Can I talk to anybody if I need some help?

    We give support to recently arrived students: organize a free meeting at the airport, give a sim-card and a voltage adaptor. Ekaterina Kornilova from Kiwi Support is responsible for it. For more information, see our site Kiwi Support.

  • Where can I find more information which can help me to arrange my moving to New Zealand and make the final decision?

    Education in New Zealand

  • When is it possible to start diploma programmes and language courses?

    There are usually intakes in February and July. In private institutes, they can start more often. English courses start every Monday.

  • Why do the prices of courses differ so much? There are programs for NZ 10 000 and there are similar ones for $ NZ 30 000. What’s the difference?

    The cost of education depends on the type of an education provider. There are three of them: universities, state institutes (polytechnics) and private institutes. For more information, see here.


    Universities are the most expensive and the requirements are high, but the given knowledge is also at the appropriate level. Similar courses in private institutes are much easier to study, but it should be understood that low cost depends on teaching staff and other conditions.


    State institutes are the middle way, you can get a good-quality education for reasonable cost.

  • How to enrol a programme? Do I have to take any exams?

    You shouldn’t take any exams except submitting a certificate of any international test in English (IELTS Academic, TOEFL, PTE, etc.) Sometimes it’s necessary to provide other documents. For more information, apply to our managers.

  • What are credits?

    They are some kind of points given for each subject (15-30 credits). To get a diploma of a certain level it’s necessary to score a fixed quantity of credits. If it is a 1-year programme there are 120 credits, if it’s a 2-year programme there are 240 credits and so on.

  • I don't know English at all, can I go to language courses to New Zealand?

    The language of tuition in NZ is English. That’s why you’d better study the basis of English at home to understand everyday phrases and feel more confident during the lessons. For more information about language courses and our tips, see our site.

  • How much do language courses cost? How long do they last?

    The cost can vary from NZ$ 120 to 450 a week depending on the school category and the duration. The longer period of study the more discount you can have. You can choose duration and a start date yourself. We advise to study for 6 months (24 weeks) if you have a basic level of English. If you estimate your knowledge as intermediate, 6 months are also optimum, 14 weeks are minimum.

  • Where can I take IELTS to enroll a programme? Can I take an alternative test?

    IELTS can be taken in any certified center.


    If you don’t like IELTS or it doesn’t suit you, you can take one of other official tests, including PTE, TOEFL, CAE, etc.

  • I've chosen the programme and I'm going to apply directly to the institution. I’ll certainly have an extra discount because the institution won’t have to pay any commission for me.

    It doesn’t matter how you will apply, the cost will be the same. It’s the policy of institutions. More likely you’ll have a discount if you apply with the help of Kiwi Education. Besides this we help to attain a student visa and our work is free in 90% of all the cases.

  • Can I put off the start date if my plans changed after applying for a visa?

    To postpone studying is possible before and after applying for a visa. But there is a possibility that it’ll lead to additional expenses because you’ll have to update some of the documents.

  • I'm an economist/ a manager/ an accountant/ etc., but I always wanted to be a cook/ a gardener/ a programmer. Can I retrain in New Zealand?

    If you want to change the profession radically, you’ll have to study from the beginning, so the duration will increase minimum to 2 years. Thus, it’s important to understand that the drastic change in it will likely raise questions from an immigration officer.


    That’s why think about possible proof of your interest in the new sphere. There can be some courses, contests if you did it as a hobby. It can increase your chances in obtaining a visa.

  • I want to be trained in any occupation in demand, because I'm a manager/ an economist/ a marketer/ etc. and I won’t be able find a job.

    If the occupation is in the skill shortage lists it means that it’s easier for them to find a job, but it doesn’t mean all other specialists will be unemployed. It’s really important to find the most logic way and the chances to obtain a visa will increase.

    Student visa

  • How long is a decision on a student visa taken? When should I apply for a visa?

    The official decision time is about 55 days, but it often changes. That’s why you’d better monitor it on the Immigration New Zealand website.


    We recommend applying at least 2 months before the programme starts. It let you come to New Zealand in time.

  • What documents are needed to apply for a visa?

    The list of documents is rather numerous, and the exact list depends on your case. Therefore, we ask you to fill in our application form. If you have any questions concerning a visa, it’s better to apply to specialists, since the site of Immigration New Zealand doesn’t contain all the information.


    You can make a request by mail

  • Is it necessary to translate the documents to apply for a visa?

    All the documents are to be translated in any translation agency. They should be certified with the stamp and don’t need the apostille. Some documents can be provided in English, such as international certificates, diplomas, reference letters or bank statements.

  • Will there be an interview with an immigration officer or not?

    The documents are downloaded online and there is no need to be present while applying. Applicants are not interviewed, an officer can just call, but it’s an exception. For verification, you’ll have to send your passport to the nearest visa center. See their location.

  • What period is a student visa given for? When does it become valid?

    The Visa is given for the period of study. It usually allows people to enter New Zealand a bit earlier and stay longer after. This time depends on an officer, it can be either a week or a month before/ after study.

  • How is a visa called if I go to study? Will I be able to work?

    This type of visas is Fee Paying Student Visa. Students can work for 20 hours a week if the period of study is longer than 14 weeks and it’s an institution provider of the first category. For more information, see here.


    You can read our article about variants where students can work part-time.

  • I'm going to study English and then to enrol a diploma programme. Can I have a visa for the whole period of study?

    You’ll have to get two visas: for language courses and for a diploma programme. There is a possibility to get one visa for both programmes, but there are certain terms. Address to our managers to find out more information.

  • Should I leave New Zealand to apply for the following visa?

    If you get a Fee Paying Student Visa for the first time, you will be able to get the second one without leaving New Zealand. But if you get a Limited Student Visa, you’ll have to leave the country. For more information about different types of visas, read our article.

  • There is a list of cities where it's possible to run a chest X-ray and a medical examination. The nearest hospital is 1000 km away from my place, can I get the proper medical documents in another hospital?

    To run a medical examination is possible only in hospitals where there are approved panel physicians. You can find an address here.


    The results will be sent directly to Immigration New Zealand. You’d better make an appointment in advance.

    Tuition fees and living costs

  • When is a tuition fee paid?

    The tuition fee has to be paid after receiving an Approval in Principle. The AIP shows that the officer was satisfied with the provided data and the visa will be given after paying the tuition fee.

  • Can I pay a tuition fee partly?

    A tuition fee is paid for the whole programme, otherwise the officer can doubt about your finances and withdraw the AIP. Besides, the visa is given for the period of paid education, you don’t need extra waste of money and time.

  • Can I work during studying?

    If you study English at an institution provider of the first category and your course is longer than 14 weeks, you can work for 20 hours a week. The students of diploma programmes can work 20 hours without any restrictions. For more information, read our article.

  • What is the minimum wage?

    The minimum wage in New Zealand is NZ$ 18.90 an hour in 2020.

  • Can I work off the books?

    New Zealand is one of the least corrupted countries, therefore it’s desirable to avoid any law violation. It can lead to deportation and you won’t be able to enter New Zealand anymore. And it can complicate visiting other countries.

  • Can I earn enough for the following education earning minimum wage?

    Earning minimum wage, you can cover part of your expenses for food and rental housing. But to save enough for education is practically impossible.

  • Are there any financial terms applying for a visa we have to comply with?

    Before applying it’s necessary to take a bank statement providing availability of funds for living in New Zealand. You need to show NZ$1250 for a month. It’s minimum for living without work. Besides, you need to provide funds for education.

  • What kind of a bank statement do I have to provide?

    It must be a bank statement on the movement of funds for the last 6 months. If you had some major funds deposited, you have to explain them.


    Our team can help you with it. Please, contact us by our e-mail or write to your Kiwi Education manager.

  • Can my relatives/ friends be my sponsors if I don't have enough money?

    It’s possible, but your sponsor has to provide some documents.

  • Can I open an account in a bank of New Zealand in order to transfer money for the tuition fee?

    You can open an account remotely, but you’ll be able to use it after activation which is only possible when you show at the bank in person.

  • What currency should I show in the account?

    You can keep your money in accounts in any currency. An officer will recalculate funds in NZD at current rates.

  • What expenses will I have before the tuition fee?

    You’ll have to pay a visa application fee NZ$330 and receiving center fees (about NZ$ 40). Besides, there will be some expenditure for translating documents and a medical examination/ an X-ray (NZ$ 140- NZ$ 350).

  • How much do I really need for living in New Zealand?

    For more understanding, read our article “The cost of living”. We hope it’ll be useful.

    Moving with families and children

  • Can my partner get a visa if I go with my family? What kind of visa?

    Partners can attain a visitor or a work visa. It depends on the education programme the student intends to enrol. For more information, read our article.

  • When should we apply for a partner work visa?

    It depends on the situation. It’s sometimes possible to apply together, but we recommend doing it separately. First, a student receives an AIP and then a partner applies.

  • If I go with my family, how much should I pay for my kids' school?

    If a partner has a work visa, his/her kids are considered as Domestic Students and go to school for free. If a partner has a student or visitor visa, the school for kids will cost NZ$ 12000-14000 per year.

  • How is the school programme in Russia is correlated with New Zealand one?

    There is no correlation. A child is determined in a certain grade according to his age. If a kid can study for free, it usually happens in the following way: you come, settle down and go to the nearest school where there is an interview with the child and after this he is determined in a certain grade.

  • Should I provide living costs for the members of my family if I go with them to New Zealand?

    Yes, you have to show NZ$ 4200 for everybody (for the whole period of living in NZ). You have to provide NZ$ 1250 per month and the tuition fee for a student.

    Qualifications recognition in NZQA

  • Are diplomas of my country recognized in New Zealand?

    You’d better to find more information about qualification from your country on the oficial NZQA website.

  • What should I do if my diploma hasn’t been recognized yet?

    There is a procedure of qualifications recognition according to New Zealand educational system, which is undertaken in NZQA (New Zealand Qualifications Authority). The process takes about 30 days and costs about NZ$ 500.

  • Is it obligatory to recognize the diploma before applying for a student visa?

    If your profession is in demand and you go to study at language courses in order to look for a job, your diploma should be recognized. If you enrol a diploma programme and intend to get New Zealand education, you don’t need any recognition. It’s enough to translate your diploma.

  • Are there any cases when it’s impossible to recognize a diploma? What to do in this situation?

    Anyway, NZQA will give you a certificate on your diploma qualification according to New Zealand educational system. It’s quite another matter if you’re not satisfied with the result and your diploma doesn’t meet all the requirements needed for specialists in demand. In this case, an optimum variant is enrolling a similar diploma programme in New Zealand. As a rule, it takes about 1 or 1,5 year.


  • If I study in New Zealand, when will I be able to get residence?

    According to the information on Immigration New Zealand, it’s possible to apply for residence when an applicant scores 160 points. On the official site of Immigration there are all possible terms allowing to score points in every case.


    There is similar information on our site.

  • Can I quit the programme and apply for residence if I find a job while studying?

    There are some pecularities and pitfalls, that’s why we recommend consulting an advisor of Kiwi Immigration.

  • Can I have a job in the sphere different from my New Zealand diploma when I apply for residence?

    In order to score the points, it’s necessary to find a job connected with your education in New Zealand. The name of the occupation shouldn’t be fully equal, but the officer has to see the connection between your education and official duties.

  • What should my partner and kids do when I get the residence? Can they count on the residence?

    According to the information on Immigration New Zealand, a partner and kids are attached to the application and get residence simultaneously with the applicant.

    Principles of work of Kiwi Education

  • How to get a consultation?

    Fill in the application form via the link.


    Your application is sent to a manager who answers during 24 hours. If you don’t get an answer, check your spam folder and contact us by

  • How do you consult?

    We consult online, using different means of communication such as e-mail, Telegram, Skype.


  • Where do you have an office?

    We have 3 offices in New Zealand. But most of our consulting msnsgers work from Russia. So, it’s easier to communicate with you using online consultations.

  • Is your work free of charge in deed?

    Helping students to enroll, we get some bonuses from education providers. Therefore, our work (in most cases) is free for students. For the full list of our services, click here.